Locality Summer School

해외학생 초청 Inbound 프로그램 ‘Locality Summer School’

‘Locality Summer School’은 광역특화전공의 각 지역별 외국인 학생들을 한국으로 초대해 광역특화전공생들과 함께 진행하는 문화교류의 장으로써 서로의 언어와 문화를 탐색할 수 있는 프로그램입니다.

광역특화전공 학생들은 외국인 학생들을 통해 자신이 공부하는 지역의 특수성과 문화적 특징들을 몸소 체험할 수 있으며, 외국인 학생들과 함께 최대 8일간 합숙하면서 현지인을 미리 접하고 로컬리티 현지에 대한 적응력을 키우게 됩니다.

외국인 학생 1인당 한국인 학생 3~4인이 이루어 과제를 수행하는 방식으로 진행됩니다.

Title [외국인 학생 활동 보고서 - 인도트랙 3분카레 팀] Par
Writer 로컬리티센터 Date 18-08-14 14:56 Read 2,281

본문

A Mid-Summer Night’s Dream

e9abdd59f25aef37ea2272beb16e28f7_1534225

Locality Summer School has fulfilled my dream of going to Korea. The program was just for a week but it has been the most memorable week of my life. When I was first selected to participate in the program, I was really excited at the thought of going to Korea but at the same time worried that I might not be able to do what is expected of me. And as an introverted person, I was scared that I might not be able to communicate with other students well. However, the Locality Centre Team and my teammates made my stay very comfortable. Everything was awkward at first but most of us have gotten pretty close at the end. And it makes one wish the program lasted for at least a few more days.

Even before I reach Korea, everything was planned and explained to me in details. And on the day I reach Korea, I was picked up by my teammates from the airport and even things seen on the way were explained to me. And the public transports were so much more comfortable than India. For example, in India you need separate card for different transportation while in Korea you can use even your ATM card for transportation. I was taken for dinner near the campus and I ate 제육밥. It was my first meal in Korea but since I was really tired and sleepy I couldn’t eat much and I felt really bad for my teammates who tried their best to feed me Korean food.

On the first day, we were given our student ID card and HUFS bag. What’s interesting was that the ID card can be used as a means of carrying money even if you don’t have a bank account. After Lunch we were given a tour of the HUFS Global Campus. We walked under the rain for hours and saw almost everything inside the campus. And among all the places I really liked the Library where books on India by Indian and Korean writers as well as books in Hindi were found. I feel like I’ve found traces of home in a foreign country. Also the HUFS GPS Lounge where rooms for group meetings or self study are properly made. And the rooms made for each Centre felt really convenient to study and rest from time to time. I feel that the university puts all their efforts in making a comfortable study environment for the students. It made me feel that as one of best University in India, Jawaharlal Nehru University also needs to put in more efforts to make its facilities better than before. After the Campus tour we were taken for a health check up at the Student’s Health centre. It made me feel happy and secured that they really take care of everything including our health.

On the second day, Professor Choi Hyeonhui gave us a lecture on Korean History. He gave us a list of important events in Korean history. I had learned about most of them during my first and second year of University but had actually forgotten about them. So not only that the lecture was a good reminder, I also learned new things as well. For example, the Constitution Day was once a National Holiday but has been removed only because there are too many holidays. It’s interesting that even the younger generations of Korean are hardly aware of it. After Lunch we had another round of campus tour since it was impossible to go every place on the first day due to heavy rain. The Lake which was mud-dirty on the first day was really bright and clean and it had a really nice view.

After the tour we went for Focus on Locality and In-Depth Research where I gave presentation for the first. Both the topics were on India but I was really worried that I might make a mistake. The reason was that India being a country of diversity, the things that might be true in one place is not necessarily true in another place. Apart from this, I also learned new things through the program. It was a really good experience since I have only learned about Korea in books but through this program I could learned it directly from the experience and knowledge of a Korean. The In-Depth Research Project went on even after dinner. It was somewhat a hectic schedule and I was tired but happy at the same time.

The next day we had our second lecture on Korean ICT and Hallyu wave by Professor Park JinKyung. Most of the foreign students were a bit disinterested since we were not too familiar with the first topic. But when the Hallyu Wave topic started, all the students started an interesting discussion which lasted for almost half an hour. After the class we had lunch with the professor and talked about various things even including scholarships for foreign students in the University.

After Lunch we went to Everland, a theme Park near the University. It was my first time visiting a theme park and I really like it. I was told that we would be visiting the park even before I come to Korea and I had a huge expectation for it. It was better than my expectations. We mostly hang around with the other Indian Team and it was really fun riding the rides and laughing at each other being scared. We went to experience the Amazon, Lost valley and Safari World. It was a new world all together. Also, the shops inside the theme park too much cute stuff that one couldn’t leave the place without buying anything.  Every second in that place was such an enjoyable moment. We walked around for hours but I didn’t even realize I was tired until we went back to the campus.  

The next day all the foreign students were supposed to meet the Professor of the respective centres but sadly all professors from the Indian Studies Department were busy so we had a talk with a professor who specialized in French. Though he is not much aware of India, he showed much interest in India and we had a fun time talking to him.  He even told us about how to go about it if we want to attend Universities in Korea so I feel that it was really worth our time. After which we had lunch with all Professors and had a rest for two hours. The Locality center teams were really kind to give us this time since we were really tired after having so much fun at Everland. But it was still difficult to stay awake after the long rest.

Then we continued with the In-Depth Research Project where more aspects of Korea and India were exchange. Since the knowledge shared was mostly based on the views of the natives, it was more meaningful. After dinner, we had traditional game experience. For the warm-up game we played 수건돌리기. After running around for some time I was exhausted but thankfully we played different games after sometime. We started playing 공기 and 제기차기. I’ve actually played 공기 when I was a kid, so after so many years playing the game again bring back lots of memories. It made me think of my hometown and childhood days. Being a fan of 12 I was looking forward to playing제기차기 but it was so difficult that I stop playing it after two tries. I was also looking forward to one of Korea’s traditional game 윷놀이 but unfortunately we didn’t play that game.

Afterwards we went on to play quiz where everyone tries their best to win the game. The most memorable thing during the game was a remark by Aigul, student from Russia. When a quiz regarding Girl’s Generation come out,she claimed that Jessica, former member of Girl’s Generation, is always in her heart. It was rather a funny scene. Regardless of the winner, all foreign students were still given a gift.

The following day we had to get up early to go to Seoul, where we were supposed to spend 3days and 2 nights at a Hanok guest house. The place was made like a traditional Korean home but the interior and everything else had a modern touch. So it was a perfect place to experience Korean Home. After checking in at the guest house, we went to the GyeongBuk Palace wearing a Hanbok. It was not my first time wearing it but I still feel happy wearing the elegant traditional cloth of Korea. The palace standing in the middle of the city still looks so magnificent and it showed how much care and attention has been given to it by the government.  From the main gate to the inside building and even the museum were so beautiful that you got lost in its charm.

We went on to see the statue of Sejong the Great who is the father of Hangul. As a student of Korean language, I was really excited to see visit this place. He look so calm there though he stood alone and it made me wish I could stay for more time there but we had to hurriedly leave due to hectic schedule.

e9abdd59f25aef37ea2272beb16e28f7_1534226

After which we went to kyobo book store where you could easily spent a whole day without a second being bored but unfortunately we had to leave early again for our next destination. We headed to Insa- dong to have tteokbokki for lunch after which we move on to Seoul Museum of History.

At the museum we saw traces of election in the past. Most of the things I found or learned were actually what I’ve learned already but it was a different feeling altogether learning by experience. We headed again to the National Assembly Hall and moved on to the Hangang Night Market. It was a long day and walking the whole day was a tiresome task. However, the view at Hangang feels like a stress-reliever. It was interesting to see the place that I’ve been so used to seeing it on-screen is right in front of me. After talking long walks and having the snacks, we returned to the guesthouse, tired but happy.

The next morning we started the Guided Seoul tour with a trip to Dongdaemun Design Plaza. This place has been famous worldwide for its museum and fashion weeks so I really wanted to visit it. So I was really happy to go there and on top of that beyond my expectation was the clothing and accessories store with reasonable price. The Kakao friends Store with cute toys which are difficult to avoid even by an adult. Later on we move on to have lunch at Gwangjang Market where I had my first meal of live Octopus. I never had the chance to eat it but I really wanted to try it. So when my teammates suggested that we have live Octopus I was really excited but worried that I might not be able to eat it. Regardless of everything, it was really tasty and I’m happy that I tried it. After which we had sikhye which was again a first time for me. It feels so good to have been able to experience traditional food in traditional market. We move on to Myeong Dong for more shopping place and I fell in love with it.

Then we headed to Namsan Tower, the place that I’ve been looking forward to. It has been shown a lot in TV-Dramas that one is bound to get excited to go there. What was not expected was that I would walk all the way up there. Since the line to ride the cable car was too long we decided to walk up there. It was really tiring so at first I didn’t have the energy to be excited at the sight of it but within minutes all my tiredness were gone and I was running around trying to see all the places in a short time. Unfortunately being on the weekend, it was far too crowded. But it was understandable why people want to go there. The view was majestic and the popular key-lock could be found everywhere. The view can be seen in pictures all over the internet, but they don’t make up for the experience you had by going there. After some time we decided to head back to spend the last night at the guest house. My legs were tired but I couldn’t be happier.  

The bright sun rises again the next morning and we head out to spend our last day together in Seoul. We decided to go to Starfield library which is again of one the place I’m really excited about. I never expected it to be inside a departmental store so I was really surprised when I found out. It just stood in the middle of the store and it looked like a normal library with a more elegant feel.

We decided to have lunch there where I had my first meal of webfoot octopus. Indeed, seafood tastes the best. Later on head back to the dormitory to spend our last night of the program. Our last night was spent being busy on our work for the next day. It would have been nice if we had the chance to spend more time talking about trivial stuffs but no one has the time. The only thing left was the farewell. And it made me wonder if everyone felt the same. It’s a pity the program is only for a week. We could have spent more time. We could have gotten closer.

The farewell started the next day and all the teams gave the presentation. The foreign students were given a chance to share their experiences. While most of tried to stay calm, there were still emotional moments. We were all tired because of the hectic schedule but since we have all gotten close with our team members at least, it was sad to see each other go our way. We don’t know when we can see each other again and we might never even get the chance. Not only that even with the other foreign students we hardly spent time together but it was sad to see them leave.

This program started a week ago and it has come to an end. And throughout this one week, I have seen and experience more than the expected. What I had learned, what I haven’t, I have experienced them all in this short period. It was tiring but the happiness one gets is far more worthwhile. It has been a mid-summer night’s dream. And I can only thank the Locality Summer School Organizers for it. It’s a pity that this is the last time of the program.

Though the program ended, my trip still continues. And I hope to see more of Korea through experience. So I plan to visit the De-Militarized Zone. I have studied about Korean Unification since my first year in College and listened to various seminars related to it. And now that I have set my foot in Korea, I want to have a glimpse of it as it is an important place in regards to unification. And since one can have a view a bit of North Korea, I think it would be a good experience. Apart from these I would like to visit the Hwaseong Fortress in Suwon. The night view is so beautiful and since it’s a traditional place I believe I could learn more about Korea through it as well. Sadly I wouldn’t be able to go to the famous Jeju- Island this time I hope to visit the place next time for sure. During my stay I plan to make lot more of memories.

I thank Locality Center Team for giving me this chance and my teammates for all the memories.

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.

경기도 용인시 처인구 모현면 외대로 81 한국외국어대학교 글로벌캠퍼스 교양관 213-1호
031-330-4593~4 / localitycenter@hufs.ac.kr
Copyright (c) 2024 한국외국어대학교 로컬리티 사업단. All rights reserved.